How was your Thanksgiving? Still feeling stuffed like that delicious turkey you indulged in? Or trying to figure out what to do with all the left-overs in those tupperware containers? Or, are you dreaming about baking that fabulous dessert you prepared for your family dinner – that pumpkin perfect that everyone raved about?
Pumpkin pie is a living symbol of mediocrity. The best pumpkin pie you ever ate wasn’t all that much different from the worst pumpkin pie you ever ate… Anonymous
This year for our family Thanksgiving dinner, I decided to attempt to bake a home-made pumpkin pie. If it was going to be home-made, I was going to make the crust as well. No premade crust for this pie.
I searched the internet and came across a great recipe by www.joyfoodsunshine.com that was also dairy-free.
Diary-Free Pumpkin Pie:
Ingredients For The Filling:
- 3 Eggs
- 15oz pumpkin puree (2 cups)
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp pumpkin spice (or make your own with 3/4 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp nutmeg, 1/4 tsp ground cloves, 1/4 tsp allspice)
Ingredients For The Pie Crust:
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup vegan butter or margerine
- 1/4 cup ice coldwater
- Place flour, salt and sugar in a food processor with an ” S” blade. Pulse to combine
- Add the margerine/vegan butter adn cold water and mix until the mixture is blended and begins to stick together – it holds if pinched.
- Remove dough from the processor (may be crumbly) and form into a ball
- Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 60 minutes (or overnight).
- Now, make filling:
- In a large bowl – beat the eggs
- Whisk in pumpkin, coconut milk and vanilla until combined
- Add sugar, salt, cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice. Mix until combined
Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F.
Lightly grease a pie plate and set aside. Roll out your dough on a well-floured counter to fit the size of your pie plate. Carefully transfer the dough to the plate and shape the crust. Pour the filling into the unbaked pie crust. Bake for 15 minutes at 425 degrees.
Reduce temperature to 350 degrees and continue to bake for 50-60 minutes or until a knife inserted comes out clean.
Hint: It may be a bit wobbly still, but it will firm up as it cools.
Allow the pie to cool on a wire rake for 2 hours. Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to serve.
This was pumpkin perfection for our Thanksgiving meal. An excellent dessert addition after a scrumptious turkey meal. A very light, smooth and airy pie. It was served with a choice of:
- Go old regular cool whip spray
- Dairy free coconut whip – Cocowhip by So Delicous
- Diary free salted caramel cluster ice cream – by So Delicious
This is the BEST pumpkin pie I have ever tasted! – which is what each member of my family blurted out once devouring their dessert.
I will definiately be baking this pie again. It would also pair nicely with a Christmas meal… hint hint. Do you have a pie recipe that you love? If so, click below and send it to me. I’d love to check it out.