When Life Gives You Lemons… Drink Water!
Summer is just around the corner and if you are like me, your thirst increases in the heat. However, do you have a hard time drinking enough water? I know I do. I know I should be drinking multiple glasses of water each day, but at the end of the day, I have more often than none – failed that goal.
Water is the driving force of all nature – Leonardo da Vinci
So, I am here to let you know of some simple ways to increase your water intake and the ‘why’ behind the importance of drinking water each day.
8 Ways to Stay Hydrated:
- Add Some Flavour: For me, drinking water seems boring. But! When I add a slice of lemon to it, the subtle change in flavour keeps me drinking it all day. Lemon isn ‘t the only way to infuse your water. When we head out to Le Nordik Spa for some relaxation, they have water stations conveniently placed around their establishment with either cucumbers, berries, or citrus enticing your taste buds.
- Get a Fancy Water Bottle: If you are excited to use a new water bottle, you will drink more water. Plus, there are lots out there with measuring lines that will break down the amounts you are drinking each day.
- Eat Some Water: Did you know that berries, celery, melons, cabbage, and watermelon have high water contents? Choosing your snacks to involve any of these fruits or vegetables will provide your body with water without even drinking it.
- Drink Tea: Tea is just flavoured water, but be sure it is caffeine free (caffeine has a dehydrating effect). Drinking chamomile or peppermint tea for example are great ‘flavour’ enhancing ways for your water.
- Grab a ‘bubbly’ water: Perrier, La Croix, or San Pellegrino are all water, but have zero sugar. If you have your own Soda Stream or DrinkMate, you’re all set.
- Include Coconut Water into your liquid intake: Coconut water has many benefits like high in potassium and electrolytes. Just be sure there is no added sugar. Read the label before your buy.
- Set Hydration Goals: As stated in Step 2, get a water bottle with measuring lines or set an alarm to drink a glass every hour for 8 hours. Better yet; download Drink Water Reminder N Tracker on your Smartphone. It will remind you regularly to drink your recommended water.
- Start Your Day With A Glass Of Water: Before you reach for that cup of coffee, drink a glass of water. Not only does this boost your metabolism, it also will rehydrate your body after an all night fast.
Following these steps will not only ensure your body is getting what it needs and what it is craving, but it will also ensure proper nutritional habits. Soon, you won’t need the reminders or the fancy measuring lines on your water bottle, or the water reminder app. You and your body will just know when to drink up.
Have you ever read what the actual benefits are to drinking so much water?
Your body is made up of 70% water. We NEED water to survive.
No water = dehydration. Your physical performance will decline. This is especially important during exercise. With intense exercise, you can lose up to 10% of water just through your sweat.
No water = fatigue or brain fog. Mild dehydration can affect brain function. This can impair your mood, increase anxiety, or even cause memory issues.
No water = headaches. Headaches are more common with dehydration. Studies have shown that if you drink more water, headache frequency decreased.
No water = constipation. Constipation is more common in those who drink little water. Your body needs water to help flush out the toxins and ‘junk’ your body does not require for nutrition. Mineral water may be helpful in the midst of constipation due to being rich in magnesium and sodium.
No water = kidney stones. Kidney stones are painful clumps of mineral crystal within the urinary system. Higher intake of water can help prevent crystallizations to occur. In the midst of trying to pass a kidney stone – increasing your water intake will help flush out the urine and can dilute the concentration of minerals making it easier to pass.
No water = hangover. Alcohol is a diuretic meaning it makes you lose water thus causing dehydration. Drinking water between alcoholic drinks as well as drinking a large glass of water prior to bed are great ways to ensure no hangover.
No water = weight gain. Drinking plenty of water can help you lose weight due to increasing your metabolic rate. Studies have shown that increasing your water intake and drinking water at least a half hour before a meal led to a decrease in weight compared to those who did not do this.
No water = wrinkles. Your skin is an organ. The more hydrated you are, the less wrinkles you will have. Water maintains the elasticity and moisture in your skin. Plus, your skin will be clearer, less puffy, and tighter.
All in all, you can’t go wrong with increasing your water intake. Make it fun with a new water bottle or simply by adding some lemon or cucumber. Your body will be thanking you with more energy, less headaches and the added bonus of glowing skin. So, get up – grab that water bottle and get drinking!