A Savory Summer Salad
Are you like me and love salads in the summer? Every Wednesday throughout the summer, I can be found prepping in the kitchen various weekend salads for the cottage. I love when I find that perfect new savory summer salad.
One salad that I not only make throughout the summer, but also throughout the year at various family events – is a Rice Salad. I joke with my family that I am trying a completely new recipe. “I found an interesting rice salad to try”. They laugh and sigh knowing that it is our fallback go-to traditional rice salad that I always make.
Some days you eat salad and go to the gym. Some days you eat cupcakes and refuse to put on pants. It’s called balance.
This recipe came from my mother-in-law. Every Christmas, Easter, and Thanksgiving this salad would be found on the dinner table to be devoured. It was a staple in my husband’s family get-togethers and it is now a staple in ours.
I decided to share this recipe with you because this week is my Mother-In-Laws birthday and I wanted to pay tribute and honour her.
- Cook 1 cup of Uncle Ben’s rice in 2 cups of water with 1 tsp salt (or if using instant rice – 1.5 cups of water to 1.5 cups of rice)
- Spoon into large bowl and chill
- While rice is cooking, combine in bottle and shake well:
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp soya sauce
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- Mix one 10 oz can of mushrooms (pieces and stems) through rice after rice has cooled
- Pour sauce over rice and mushroom mixture and chill again
- Once chilled or right before serving, fold in 1 cup sliced celery, 2 Tbsp chopped onion, 1/2 cup slivered almonds and one 10 oz can of mandarin segments (drained).
A very simple recipe, as you can see, packed with yummy flavours and crunch. A sure hit at any potluck, BBQ, or cottage drop-in you may be attending in the future. We have some friends that I make an extra batch whenever we see them just so they have their own for left-over’s the next day.
Do you have a favourite savory summer salad that you’d like to share? If so, click the link below and send it to me. Like I mentioned, I love to find new delicious recipes to try out.